The double dwelling at the lightstation is a storey and a half, wood frame structure, built in 1912, and it still stands today. It was constructed from a standard Department of Marine and Fisheries plan which was repeated at a number of stations across the country and painted in the traditional Canadian Coast Guard white with red trim. The storage shed was believed to have been constructed about the same time. The dwelling assumed a role in the Canadian Coast Guard beyond that of a residence. The light itself was automated, but the south side of the residence was used as a central monitoring station for all the lightstations in the southern part of Nova Scotia.
The principal keeper lived in the north half of the house and the second keeper occupied a bungalow to the north of the house. The light functioned 24 hours a day. The double dwelling and the shed are now the oldest structures of the site. The bungalow, occupied by the second keeper, and the garage were constructed in the late 1970’s. Learn more about the keepers of the Cape Forchu Light.